Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Information on commercial vehicles, insurance companies, and the services they provide
The commercial vehicle insurance directory highlights companies or brands who offer commercial vehicle insurance to businesses. Included within each company listing are details of product features and benefits currently being offered.
Alternatively, read our information guide below, or car insurance guide pages, and find out all you need to know before getting a competitive quote.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance Guide
Most businesses, from sole traders to multi nationals, have transport requirements which can range from satisfying logistical needs to moving employees from one destination to another. As with car insurance for personal use, similar principals apply with commercial vehicle insurance. If any type of vehicle is taken on a road it involves risk to yourself and others. To protect the driver and any third parties it is law in the UK that all businesses must have a minimum amount of insurance cover in order to drive on the road in a commercial vehicle.
Around 25% to 33% of serious and fatal road accidents involved a victim that was 'at work' at the time. The latest reports show that there are over 750,000 traffic accidents and 300,000 road related casualties every year in the UK. When a traffic accident occurs the result is never a good one. People are injured, and property is damaged.
In addition to the risk of an accident, according to a recent police report over 47,000 commercial vehicles are stolen each year from British businesses. This is estimated to equate to £152 million in lost assets, not including any additional costs such as renting vans, increased commercial vehicle insurance premiums, or loss of earnings.
There are 3 types of policy available to commercial vehicles which use the road and will provide varying levels of cover:
• Third Party Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Will insure
third parties for accidental death or injury arising from use of a commercial
• Third Party, Fire and Theft Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Will increase the level of cover provided by third party insurance to include damage to your vehicle caused by fire.
• Fully Comprehensive Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Provides a comprehensive, or complete, ‘all risks’ cover for your vehicle. In its simplest terms it means that you are able to claim on your insurance for any damage caused to your commercial vehicle, apart from those exclusions you agreed with your insurer. Exclusions vary dependent on the insurance company but may include items like legal fees, breakdown cover, windscreen damage, and medical fees.
Examples of Commercial Vehicles include:
• Ford: Transit Connect, Escort Van, Courier Van, Fiesta XRV Van, Fiesta 35 Van, Super Cab Ranger, Double Cab Ranger, Regular Cab Ranger, Ranger XLT, One Stop Range, Channel Cabs, Ford Tourneo, Transit Minibus, Jumbo Transit Van, LWB Transit Van, MWB Transit Van, SWB Transit Van
• Mercedes Benz: Vito, sprinter, Vario
• Volkswagen: LT Range, Transporter Range, Caddy Range, Caravelle, Multivan
• Toyota: Hiace, Hilux, Dyna
• Renault: Master, Mascott
• Vauxhall: Corsavan, Astravan, Combo, Vivaro, Movano
• Honda: CR-V